Sailing Competence: Stage 4
- Our 3-day course during the school half term holidays run from 9.30 until 4.30 with an hour for lunch.
- On the first day of the course, there is a briefing for the students when they meet their instructors and at the same time we have a briefing for parents/guardians from a senior member of the team.
- On the last day, at 3.15, there is a sail past followed by prize giving when friends and family are invited to come and watch what the students have achieved during the week and celebrate their success
All of our courses are taught by RYA qualified instructors in groups with a maximum ratio of 8 students to each instructor. Teaching takes place on the water and in the classroom and we move between the two depending on the group, the weather conditions and the requirements of the curriculum.
Sailing Competence focusses on RYA Stage 4 of the national curriculum and is usually taught in double handed RS Fevas. This is the first course when the student gets to learn teamwork as a helm or crew as well as working in dinghies which have more than one sail. Sailing Competence is the ideal stepping stone towards the more advanced modules
What to bring
- We provide wetsuits and buoyancy aids although if you have your own you are welcome to use them.
- You should bring: swimwear (to wear under wetsuit), shoes you are happy to get wet, a towel, a change of clothes, suntan cream, a hat, and a water bottle
Our onsite caterers have a daily menu available consisting of a 2 course cooked lunch with a salad bar, rolls and a drink. Lunches can be booked at the beginning of the week, payment by cheque or cash only - credit cards are not accepted. Alternatively, participants may bring their own packed lunch. Snacks are also available to purchase at lunch time.