RYA Start Windsurf Instructor
This five day course starts at 09:30 each day, and the week will include several long days that run into the evenings and finish around 20:00. Course timings will be confirmed with candidates on a course by course basis.
Prior to attending this course candidates must:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Hold an intermediate non-planing certificate including beachstart and non-planing carve gybe clinics.
- Have an RYA Powerboat Level 2 Certificate
- Have an RYA approved valid First Aid certificate. Please see their website for a list of approved providers
- Completed the RYA Safe & Fun Safeguarding course. Please visit the RYA website for more details
- Read the 'RYA Instructor Code of Conduct' and be satisfied they can sign their agreeance to this code during the instructor course
- Be a current RYA member
NEW FOR 2017 - the RYA has removed the Inland/Coastal endorsements from the Instructor qualifications. With immediate effect ALL RYA Instructor courses will cover basic tidal information. Candidates will be expected to be familliar with tidal terminology and concepts up to Basic Navigation & Seamanship level. The Instructor course will not be able to 'teach' this material, but will assess all candiates on this basic level knowledge. If you have any queories on this please contact the office or RYA for more information.
The course is run by an RYA Windsurf Trainer, and covers the following areas:
- The RYA Windsurfing schemes
- The Start Windsurfing teaching method (on water, self rescue techniques, ashore)
- Theoretical knowledge
- Presentation techniques
- Course management
- Powerboat rescue techniques
- Personal skills and sailing assessment
- Equipment and simulators
The course is moderated by a second RYA Windsurf Trainer who has not been involved with the instructors training through the course. During the moderation you may be required to demonstrate confident ability in any of the following areas:
- Delivery of on and off water sessions
- Preperation, management and structure of sessions
- Theoretical knowledge
- Personal sailing ability
By the end of the course you should be able to effectively teach safe, enjoyable and educational sessions to adults or children. Successful candidates holding the pre-requisite qualifications will qualify as RYA Start Windsurf Instructors, and be able to teach Start Windsurfing on the National Windsurfing Scheme, and Stages 1 & 2 of the Youth Windsurfing Scheme.
What to bring
- We provide wetsuits and buoyancy aids although if you have your own you are welcome to use them.
- You should bring: swimwear (to wear under wetsuit), shoes you are happy to get wet, a towel, a change of clothes, suntan cream, a hat, and a water bottle